Lazy summer days are almost over and school is about to start. At DaVinci Roofscapes, we want all homeowners to have a pleasant experience having their DaVinci Slate or DaVinci Shake roofs installed, so here is my (unofficial) lesson in choosing a contractor.
1. Get a referral. From who? Friends and family are a great place to start, but as a manufacturer of a luxury roof product, we're happy to help you locate a contractor in your area.
2. Get more than one (written) estimate from different contractors. Question the difference in pricing and listen to each contractor's recommendations for your specific roof project.
3. Ask for proof of licensing (if required by your state) and for copies of a contractors liability insurance and workman's compensation status. If the contractor has it, he/she should easily be able to provide it.
4. Check references and drive by jobs installed.
5. When you make your decision, sign a written contract. The contract should clearly state what materials will be used, what the payment schedule is, and if something unforeseen happens during the job what steps will be taken and how that will be communicated to you.
Whether you are choosing a manufactured slate tile or a shake alternative by DaVinci Roofscapes (or another type of material altogether) finding a contractor is a challenging task. While following the above advice isn't a 100% guarantee you won't end up with a bad apple, be sure to cover all your bases and don't make your decision based off the lowest price or without proper research.
Enjoy what is left of your summer!