If you are planning on replacing your old roof, you'll want to have a checklist, which will help you decide on the contractor, roofing materials to be used, budget and the total time of the project.
Here is a checklist, which will help you decide on your roof replacement, especially if you have steep slope roofing.
- Get at least three written estimates, from reputable and licensed contractors.
- Check how long the contractor has been in this business and as well as their expertise with regard to various roofing materials.
- Ask for references and check them before awarding the contract.
- Go and look at the other roofs that the contractor has done.
- Ask for samples of the roof shingles, which will help you in making the decision on the roofing material for your home.
- Ask the contractor about the disposal of the old roofing material and whether the disposal will cost you extra.
- Get an idea of when the contractor can start and when the project will be done. You might need to get a building permit from your city as well.
- Check with the contractor details regarding liability caused during repairs to the neighbors property.
- Be home when the roof is being installed to make sure the project runs smoothly and that you're pleased with the work.
- All details pertaining to the contract must be written and signed.