Helpful Terms to Know for Your Roof Installation

When the time comes to install a new roof, homeowners are suddenly confronted with numerous unfamiliar terms. If you don't work in the construction industry, you'll quickly find out that a roof is a lot more than just wood, shingles and gutters. To help de-code the roofing terminology, the following are a few common terms that are helpful to know:

  • Ridge: A horizontal line formed by two surfaces at the top of a roof where two slopes meet. Basically, it's peak of a sloped roof. 
  • Hip: A sloping ridge that forms the junction between two slopes on a part of the roof that comes out an a 90 degree angle from the main section of the roof.
  • Rake: This refers to the vertical edges on a gable roof. In other words, the rake is the part of the roof edge that connects the ridge to the eaves (the areas just below the lower ends of the roof).
  • Flashing: This refers to the pieces of sheet metal placed on joints of a roof to help keep water from leaking into the structure. Flashing can be made of a variety of metals, some of the most common being copper, aluminum, and steel.

There are several other terms related to roofs. To learn about some of them along with information about our Class A fire rated fake shake and slate, contact contact DaVinci Roofscapes by email or calling 1-800-328-4624 today.

Leave a comment