If the roof over your head is not Class 4 Impact rated and you stay in an area that is frequently ravaged by hailstorms, then you probably know the kind of damage, hail can cause to roofs. How does a Class 4 Impact rating make any difference to the amount of protection your roof offers?
An Impact rating is awarded to roofing products after testing them against set standards. Based on how the material withstands, it is rated on a scale of 1 to 4, with Class 4 rating indicating highest resistance to impact. The most commonly used standards for Impact testing are UL 2218 and FM 4473.
The characteristics of UL 2218 Impact Resistant Testing:
- Tests for both flexible roof coverings and rigid ones.
- Steel balls ranging from 1.25 to 2.0 inches are used for testing.
- The balls are dropped from heights ranging from 12 to 20 feet and the impact resistance observed.
- The test roofing is struck in the same place twice with the steel ball.
The characteristics of FM 4473 Impact Resistant Testing:
- Tests only rigid roof coverings for Impact Resistance.
- Freezer made ice balls are used for testing.
- The ice balls are shot at the roofing sample to stimulate hail.
It is thus evident that the UL 2218 Impact Resistant Test is considerably more severe and indicates durability and Impact Resistance better than the FM 4473 test.
Those who already have a DaVinci Eco Friendly Roof will be pleased to know that DaVinci products have been awarded a UL 2218 Class 4 rating and are therefore more resistant to hail and other substances that could potentially damage your roof. Those who have been contemplating buying DaVinci Plastic Roofing Materials now have one more reason why DaVinci is a cut above the rest.
If you would like to benefit from a DaVinci roof, call our customer service department and they'll get you in touch with a DaVinci Roofscapes expert in your area that will be more than happy to help.
Do you own DaVinci Roofscapes' products? What was the determining factor for you in going with DaVinci? Please share your experience with us by leaving a comment below.